- Andy was born and raised in McLennan County. He is the son of Joyce and Sheriff Jack Harwell, the third of three siblings.
- Graduate of Robinson High School
- Graduate of McLennan Community College
- Graduate of Baylor University with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
- Elected as County Clerk of McLennan County in 1994
- Boards and Committees - Past and Present:
* Texas Supreme Court Rules Advisory Committee - Appointed in 1999, 2002, and 2005 to 3 year terms each
* Texas Supreme Court Task Force on Judicial Readiness in Times of Emergency
* Chairman of the Legislative Committee for the County and District Clerks' Association of Texas.
* Director of Area V of the County and District Clerks' Association of Texas
* Texas State Library and Archives Commission - Local Government Records Committee
* President of the Kiwanis Club of Waco
* President of the Waco Center for Youth Volunteer Council
* Kiwanis Foundation Treasurer
* McLennan County Bail Bond Board
* Meals on Wheels Volunteer
- In the year 2000, Andy was nominated, "County Clerk of the Year" by Area V of the County and District Clerks Association of Texas.